Fontbonne Hall Academy

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Support Our Mission

Accommodations and Services

The Office of College Advisement and Student Support Services works to support all students at FHA. In order to best support students, we are updating the process by which students receive extended test time and 504 accommodations. With this in mind, it is important to understand that as a private school, we can only provide limited services to students.


Please read below to understand what we can provide to students with disabilities and what documentation we must have in order to do so.


Individualized Education Services Program (IESP)


What is an IESP?

  • The IESP is an individual educational plan which summarizes your child’s current skills and abilities and establishes educational goals. It identifies services the school system will provide which are appropriate for his or her unique needs. Its purpose is to document your child’s eligibility for special education services.


What does FHA provide for students who have IESPs?

  • We provide extended test time to students for midterms, finals, and state exams.
  • We do not provide any other special education services.


How do I ensure my student receives extended test time at FHA?

  • In order for a student to be eligible for extended test time, our office must receive a completed and up-to-date IESP that indicates that extended test time is necessary.


Do all students who have an IESP receive extended test time?

  • No, not all disabilities necessitate extended test time. Students will only receive extended test time if their IESP indicates it necessary.


If my student does not receive extended test time according to her IESP, do I still need to provide documentation of a disability to FHA?

  • We suggest that although we only provide extended test time, it is important to provide us with all information regarding any disability your student may have, as your student may be eligible for other services on the SAT or ACT.


What do I do if I suspect my student has a disability while she is in attendance at FHA?

  • If your student has not been evaluated and you feel that there is a health, academic, social / emotional or other area that is affecting your student’s educational progress, please consult with teachers and the Office of College Advisement and  Student Support Services.
  • If an evaluation is deemed necessary, parents can make a written request for a special education assessment by contacting the District Committees on Special Education (CSEs). CSEs coordinate and carry-out the special education process for students who are not enrolled in NYCDOE district schools. CSEs serve families in the district where a child’s school is located.


Section 504


What is Section 504?

  • Section 504 is a part of the The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which protects students with disabilities against discrimination. This federal law ensures that students will special needs are treated fairly.


Which students are eligible for 504 accommodations?

  • A student with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities is eligible to receive accommodations under 504.
  • A physical or mental impairment may include, but are not limited to, physical disabilities or conditions, psychological disorders, and specific learning disabilities.
    • Temporary impairments may qualify a student for accommodations depending on the nature, duration, and severity of the impairment (e.g. a broken limb)
    • Episodic impairments may qualify a student for accommodations if they substantially limit a major life activity when active (e.g. asthma)


What does FHA provide to students who have been granted a 504?

  • 504 accommodations may also cover health/medical accommodations that may refer to the administration of medication and/or specialized medical supports.

Examples of accommodations in 504 plans include:

  • Preferential seating
  • Extended time on tests
  • Double set of books
  • Modified physical education
  • Modified textbooks such as books with large print
  • Verbal testing
  • Scribe
  • Pre-approved nurse's office visits and accompaniment to visits
  • Permission to carry medical equipment such as glucometer, insulin if student is a diabetic
  • Parents must submit the Medical 504 Form to Mrs. Essex, school nurse.
  •  The requisition will be sent to and approved by Director of Student Support Services.


Important things to note:

    • All extended time and 504 accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
    • Decisions are made based on the information presented. Please submit as much documentation as possible.
    • Not all requests will be approved.
    • If 504 Accommodations are granted they must be renewed annually
You can find additional resources from the NYC Department of Education here.