Fontbonne Hall Academy

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Support Our Mission
About Us » Our History

Our History

Fontbonne Hall Academy was founded in 1937 by the Congregation of The Sisters of St. Joseph as an all-girls’ Catholic secondary school.  The school is named for Mother St. John Fontbonne, a French nun who led the reconvening of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph after it was disbanded during the French Revolution.  Throughout its history in the United States, Fontbonne has followed the mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph to answer to the vocational needs of the time.  With a student population of 407 students, Fontbonne promotes the benefits of an all-girls college preparatory education with its small class sizes that allow for individualized attention to ensure student success.  The school is located in the residential neighborhood of Bay Ridge Brooklyn, in the shadows of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.